Sunday, May 1, 2011

Productivity

This year, the Seattle Spring has been nothing short of ghastly. Rain, rain, wind, rain, drizzle, rain, cold. We are running a good 6 weeks behind on our average gardening schedule (so I hear from our local gardening experts) and we are ITCHING to get the ball rolling on our garden! Luckily, we have managed to get a bit of a gardening fix already by planting peas, radish, carrot, spinach, and lettuce, not to mention the wonderful gifts that we received from friends of shallots, asparagus crowns, cabbage, and raspberry canes!

Don't get too close or that snake 'll getcha!
When we moved into our house, we realized that the previous owners had a strange fetish for small ceramic garden animals. Every time I till a bed, one or two pop up from the soil. This snake is one, that I thought was too funny to get rid of, and the frog below has become a little friend for Harris...
Ribbit



Blueberry

Since it was so nice on Saturday, and Mindi had to work, I made a spur of the moment decision to get shit done...if you will. I packed the two kids into the minivan at 8:30am, and drove over to home depot. With 1 toddler strapped to my back, and 1 preschooler in tow, I managed to navigate myself through the home depot, completing my goal of finding, carting, and buying 3 bags of soil, 48 bolts, a tape measure, and 8 (count em!) 2"x10"x 12ft pieces of lumber. Granted, I (rightfully so) lassoed a nice hd employee to help me get the lumber down, cut, and out to my car, but let me tell you, the looks that I got from men and women alike, when they saw all that lumber following a donkey pushing a cart and hauling 2 children, were priceless- every one of them! After I got the car loaded, and the children buckled, I drove home and right up onto my lawn. I let the kids out to run for 30 minutes while I lugged the wood to the back yard, where it would eventually become 4 beautiful planter boxes! After I got the wood out of the car, I loaded the kids back in, and went with the kids to the Little Gym for Harris' class. After class, I fed the kids their lunch that I had packed that morning as we drove home. We got back, I slipped the children into bed for naptime, and proceeded to assemble the raised garden beds. 1 extra trip to Home Depot and 2 hours later, we had 4 beautiful planters built, the kids woke up, and I called it a day! It was nice to hear from the wifey that she was proud of all that I had accomplished! I hadn't really even thought of it before she said that!
This is what Harris did when I explained that they were "garden beds". He decided to lay down!
Now I have these 4 beautiful planter boxes calling out for nice rich soil! I hope you had a great weekend, and don't forget to vote for my blog until May 13th! Vote once a day by clicking the button to the right! Oh, hey! By the way! Who nominated my blog? Please do tell!

2 comments:

  1. I love productive days like that! What a beautiful day it was here to get all of that done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Your beds look great. Voted for you (again!).

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin