Saturday, February 5, 2011

Grey Day Gardening

Last summer, we decided to try our hand at vegetable gardening. We are both complete novices when it comes to gardening, but we are both eager to learn, and being that we are both interested in self sufficient and green living, it was a logical thing to do. We started the garden ridiculously late (as far as typical timing goes), but still managed to get a few small crops out of it.

This year, we wanted to do it right. During the winter, we poured over the Maritime Northwest Garden Guide. I find that there is so much to learn. Every plant so so different in terms of it's needs, as well as companion planting concepts on top of that. Cool soil, warm soil, dry soil, wet soil, loamy, sandy, clay... sheesh! I remember the good old days when it was all just dirt.

This afternoon I went out to our beds and started tilling. We are planing a pea-patch and a spinach/carrot bed to start our season off. The day was dark grey and cool. I used to find myself working on the garden on nice days only. Whether is be weeding or planting, the sun was always shining. There was something about digging in my soil on such a dreadfully dreary day that felt so right. Like I was doing the right thing. Like all of the changes that I had made inside my home to become more green were proving that they were meant to last, and that this is the way life is supposed to be; working the land for yourself and your loved ones, every day, not just the sunny ones.

1 comment:

  1. We used to live in Portland - this makes me miss PNW weather and gardening! Such a lovely post...seems the most simple concepts are generally the most profound. Indeed, working the land even during grey days, just as working on ourselves and our relationships even during grey times, is equally as important as working in the sunny times (I don't know if you meant for that concept to extend to life in general, but I took it that way). :)

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin