Saturday, January 8, 2011

TU·MUL·TU·OUS Toddler

TU·MUL·TU·OUS  [too-muhl-choo-uhs, tyoo-]
–adjective

1. full of tumult or riotousness; marked by disturbance and uproar: a tumultuous celebration.

2. raising a great clatter and commotion; disorderly or noisy: a tumultuous crowd of students.

3. highly agitated, as the mind or emotions; distraught; turbulent.
 
Relaxing for the evening, I ponder the sweet, tender moments I had had with my son at his bedtime. Sigh, how delicate were his smiles and the look of wonderment in his eyes as I read a book with him. How sincere and gentle he was. I told him I would read the book twice, then it was time for lights out and bedtime. After the book was done (for the second time) I reminded him of our deal. He asked me sweetly if he could stay up to read the book again by himself. I told him that it was ok, as long as there was no singing, talking, or yelling happening also. "I promise" he said, and I retired. About 30 minutes later, I hear energetic crying upstairs. 3 minutes later, the crying has turned to sobbing and I realize there is no self- soothing to be had. After going upstairs to ask what he needed, and hearing that he wanted saline nose spray, I admittedly felt guilty. What a horrid mother I was to let my son scream and cry for that long, when all he wanted was some spray for his poor little nose. Of course, I felt horrid for only about 10 seconds before he let me know that he wanted the nose spray so that he could receive his special treat for receiving a spray; a piece of candy corn. Yes folks, that is how it works in our house. BRIBERY. And bribery with candy at that... My frustration turned to giggles, however, when I let him know that he had broken his promise, and his response was "No, I fixed it!"

1 comment:

  1. I happen to think that is pretty darn smart, Im proud of him!! :)
    I love the new banner too! (it is new right...?)

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin