Sunday, April 25, 2010

This Hurts

We are on day 4 of the helmet. Overall, she has been doing really well. I can tell, however, that it makes her mad in a "I have no idea why I feel strange, and bound, and heavy, and oh yeh, i am only 4 and a half months" sort of way. she is cranky. It is next to impossible to get her to smile while wearing it. The witching hour is the worst. Come 8 pm or so, she gets even grumpier if the helmet is still on. Today, she had to wear it for a total of 12-16 hours. She did great all day despite some "crap they put that damn hat back on me again" crabbiness. 8pm rolled around and she was done. She woke up from a dead sleep and began screaming, crying, and flailing. I tried to soothe her. I rocked, I swayed, I gently jiggled, I sang, tried to feed, changed her diaper, rubbed her chest, patted her back, and then I cried. I know that the damn thing isn't hurting her. I know it is annoying for her. I know that we are doing the right thing and I know that time will fly by. I just wish that she could understand that. The thing that hurts me the most is the fact that she hasn't been smiling at us for the last 4 days. I knew she wouldn't like it, but I didn't think it would take her smile away. It is so sad.

Tomorrow night is the first night that she has to sleep in the helmet. I am not concerned about her ability to sleep in it- she does just fine with her naps, but I am concerned about this 8 pm thing...

Any suggestions? (Carey??)

8 comments:

  1. :( poor baby stella. i'm sorry this is so rough. it will get better, i'm sure. then her smile will return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so sorry, this sounds like it is terrible on you. Im sure she will get used to it, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear this, too. I personally don't have any ideas, but I do read another blog by a quad mom and she had all 4 in helmets! (it has been awhile, you'd have to search the archives) Maybe she'd have an idea...thelifeofsuz.blogspot.com
    Good luck!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that your little girl is having a rough time. But do know and believe that her smile will return. Itll get easier and before you know it, the helmet will be gone for good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry this is so hard. I have advice, but I have lots of kind thoughts I'm sending your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... is it rubbing at all? Any little spots you notice that seem red? Is she hot? We switched to much cooler pj's when Mr. B got his helmet. They tend to sweat in the helmets, we found stripping him down helped with that. Lemme think and see if I can come up with anything else!! I am hoping she's just adjusting to - kids are so amazing about things like this, so much better than adults!! It will get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hoping this time flies by. she's a trooper! no ideas, just wishes for the return of the smile and the removal of the helmet for good.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear it! I hope its getting better.

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin