Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Good Day

First of all, I would like to say to Mindi- Happy Adoption Day! Yay! She is finally considered little Stella's legal parent along with me! Disgusting that we had to go to a courtroom to have that become official, but a relief nonetheless!

This is the same judge that aided us with Mindi's adoption of Harris 2 years ago. It was nice to see her again- she is a great supporter of same sex adoptions.

Another great thing about today was that Stella and I went to Hanger (an orthodics and prosthetics company) to have her assessed for a potential helmet. Let me just tell all of you mothers out there- TRUST YOUR MOMMY GUT!

It turns out that little Stella is indeed within the range that would benefit from a helmet! Apparently, she has a 6mm deviation, which is considered mild- moderate deformation. Not that I am celebrating her crazy shaped head, but I am happy to hear that my concerns were real! She has a scan to prove it!!



We have an appointment in 2 weeks to have her helmet fitted. I am very excited to start (and finish) the treatment!

I want to send a shout-out thank you to Carey over at Finding Chaos. As many of you know, she also had the experience of fighting to be heard to get her (frickin' ADORABLE) child a helmet. Thanks for the support, and the reminder to trust my instinct. If you had not messaged me, I would not have called Hanger for a second opinion! Seriously!

 

8 comments:

  1. that is awesome on all counts :) congrats on the adoption. hooray that you were taken seriously regarding stella.

    ps- missing you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Good for you, mommy! Way to advocate for your little girl. I just started my (kinda lame) blog and found you all. Our babes are very close in age! And girls! And live in the same area! This may sound creepy but I *think* I may have seen you at the clinic waiting room many months ago. I recognize Harris becasue of the adorableness. Anyway, jsut wanted to say hi...

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to congratulate you on the adoption as well! We still need to do ours.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for the adoption!! I too hate that our families have to jump through this extra hoop. And yeah for trusting your mommy gut! I'm glad I could help too :) If you have any questions, you know where to find me!! You guys will do great with the helmet (it's only hard in the beginning - and in the days right before you graduate, you'll be so happy to be free of it and so thankful you did it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree, mommy/mama instict is best! i'm happy the adoption worked out so well, along with the helmet!

    that is one adorable picture, btw. i'm happy you were able to get the same judge again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great news all around!!!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy adoption day! And I'm so glad you were able to get a second opinion and are getting treatment for that sweet little noggin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering when this would happen! Ridiculous that Mindi has to adopt her own child, but thank goodness the system has at least come far enough to make that possible. Here's hoping Harris and Stella's generation won't have to deal with such discrimination. Congratulations mamas!

    And good job sticking to your guns about little Stella's head-- I'm glad someone finally listened!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin