Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy Hannukah- Night #1

Happy Hannukah! This year, since Harris has been showing such an awesome interest in Shabbat on Friday nights, I felt that he would probably really enjoy celebrating Hannukah too. Last year, with Harris being barely 1 and all, we didn't make a big deal out of Hannukah. In fact, I can't even remember if we lit our menorah or not... Anyways, this year, along with lighting our menorahs and saying the blessings, I wanted to make sure that we added in the small gifts portion of Hannukah into our celebration. I know how commercial the Holidays can be, and every day I grow further and further away from desiring merchandise that has been mass produced. This Hannukah, I decided to try and make as many gifts as I could, or buy handmade items Mindi and I are not really exchanging gifts, so I was able to focus on Harris! I have to admit, I do have 2 mass produced items in my list, but I am very proud of the other things that I DID make!

Happy Hannukah! Night #1
I wanted Harris to be able to enjoy the tradition of lighting the candles of the menorah without actually setting anything on fire, and so I made him a felt menorah. It has magnets so that we can affix it to the refrigerator, and 9 candles made of mini popsicle sticks and felt flames. His eyes lit up when he saw it and it made me so proud!!

9 comments:

  1. I love this. Reading your entries about stuff like this makes me want to do more for my kids like that. Happy Hanukkah <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that felt menorah. I'm not Jewish, but I would totally buy one from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute! Very creative.i hope you have patent on that,because it def would sell? Copywrite those photos or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Hannukah! Your crafty felt menorah is amazing! You should consider selling them on your etsy store...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that menorah! Harris and Stella are some lucky kids to have such a crafty and creative mama. Can't wait to see what the other nights bring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, cutest felt menorah evah!!

    Congrats on Baby Stella. What a happy season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Felt menorah is great! I have 2 year old twins that I want to help celebrate/ understand the chanukkah celebration - would you consider making/selling me one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is so awesome! You're such a crafty creative mommy - love it!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin