Monday, August 17, 2009

Trouble in Crafty Land

I have been feeling a wee bit crafty as of late. I have been thinking of making some wool longies for Harris for when the weather turns, because I would really like to put him back in cloth overnight. I went to the thrift store and purchased a 100% wool sweater, with the intention of "felting" it. I have never intentionally felted anything before (actually, I think that the actual term for it is "Fulled"...???...) but I read a few simple tutorials, and thought I would give it a try. After washing the sweater in hot water in the washer, there was no change. Then I decided to try the "boil it" method, where you literally boil the sweater with mild agitation. Still nothing! I boiled the thing for 30 minutes! The sweater looks as un-felted as it did when I bought it at the thrift! So, what the heck am I doing wrong? I looked at the tags carefully, thinking that maybe I had purchased a "superwash wool" which has been chemically treated to not felt, but I found nothing that mentioned that. The tag even says not to machine wash, and to dry clean only. Any crafters out there have any suggestions for me??



By the way, here is a belly shot! This is the first belly shot that I have taken of this pregnancy, and I am pretty happy with it! This is me at 25 weeks! Only 15 weeks to go! Wahoo!!


And, of course, I couldn't leave out a cute pic I snapped of the Boy, the dog, and the Mommy!

9 comments:

  1. love the family photo, all cozy on the couch:) it's neat to see the differences in our bellies since we're on the same time-frame, though your's is baby two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same trouble with some sweaters I wanted to make into diaper covers - they just wouldn't come together and be all tight and water-proof. I washed them a zillion times more and then got the bright idea to dry them. And they shrunk! Then I washed them again and dried them again and they were felted - ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's possible that the sweater has been washed too often before and has already "fulled", but it's worth another try. Use dish soap (it cleanses the grease that occurs naturally in wool) and hot water. Then dry in the dryer on hot. The combination of the heat, agitation, and oil free fibers should cause them to shrink and stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... it might be superwash wool which has been chemically stripped so it won't felt and can be washed in a washing machine.

    The stripping happens during the fiber processing phase so I'm not sure there's any way to know if the yarn was superwash when it made the sweater.

    It may never felt/full fully, but I'd try starrhillgirl and nutella's suggestions.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute belly mama! I think the best option to felt it would be to try it with Da.wn. I knitted these olives that needed to be felted and (them being tiny olives) I hand felted them with da.wn and hot water and it worked well. From what I understand it's not really the water but the agitation that felts things. You might also want to try putting jeans or something in the wash with it to help the agitation process if you had been washing it alone. Hope that helps and you really do look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. weren't you recently that pregnant with the boy??? wow. so beautiful. - Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no advice with your wool dilemma, but wanted to tell you that the picture of Mindi, Harris and the dog is the sweetest ever. They all seem very cozy. Nice belly shot too!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin