A few weeks ago, we took Harris for his well-child checkup at the pediatrician. Along with the typical exam, questions, and (unfortunate) vaccines, the pediatrician was doing lead level tests on every child that came through his doors in light of all the recalls that have been happening because of lead-based paint in children's toys. We are big proponents of quality wood toys with non-toxic paint and varnish. We have tried to keep nasty plastic toys out of Harris' hands from the get-go, but in this day and age, it is practically impossible to do that with everyone giving plastic toys as gifts and favors etc. I am not saying that all plastic toys are the devil, but I don't feel that any plastic is safe, especially in light of all the BPA nonsense that has been pulsing through the media. In fact, I just read a disturbing article about supposedly BPA free products being tested and found to actually contain BPA! Anyways, we were pretty confident that Harris was ok since we have tried to watch what we offer to him. Well wouldn't you know it, Harris tested higher-than-safe for lead! The Pediatrician told us that his number was not high enough to warrant a medical intervention, but he highly recommended that we evaluate our house and all of his toys in an attempt to eradicate the source of lead that he was getting.
Bewildered and surprised, we quarentined all of Harris' plastic toys, along with any wood toys that we were unsure of. Then, we went online and ordered some lead test kits in an attempt to find the culprits. A few days ago, our tests arrived, and Mindi tested the toys today. Much to our surprise, it was not the cheapo, made in China painted and chipping 99 cent dolphin squirt gun, or the dime-a-dozen chipping painted dinosaur. What tested positive was a Matchbox brand bath toy rescue boat, and a VTech telephone. I highly recommend that if you or anyone you know has either one of these toys, you GET RID OF IT. Lead paint is VERY DANGEROUS!
TOP 5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
1. Lead is the number one environmental poison of young children in the US.
2. Exposure to dangerous levels of lead can leave a child with lifelong learning disabilities as well as behavioral problems and physical problems.
3. Usually, there are no outward symptoms when a child is poisoned.
4. The most common source of exposure to lead is through deteriorating lead-based paint and varnish in a child's own home, especially the tiny particles of dust created as the paint deteriorates.
5. For a child who has been poisoned, there is no cure for the developmental and physical problems that the poison may have caused – special education and intervention to minimize the impact of the damage is the only effective treatment.
LEAD POISONING IS 100% PREVENTABLE.
Do you know of any toys that contain lead? Please share!