Monday, August 3, 2009

Can't Help But Share

This last Thursday, Mindi, Harris and I all went to a U-Pick Blueberry farm for the first time. We had a fantastic time picking the blueberries! Despite our best efforts to try and get Harris to try some, he was more interested in spitting them out whole and watching them drop to the ground. He did, however, do a great job following directions when we told him to pick a berry and put it in the bucket! We tried not to go overboard when picking the berries, because we did not want them to go to waste. We ended up coming home with almost exactly 1 pound of blueberries.

The next morning, Harris helped me make blueberry pancakes for the first time! He was a great little helper mixing the batter, and really enjoyed putting the blueberries in the mix. He ended up chowing on almost half of the pancakes that we made, despite not wanting to try them at all at the field. He is turning out to be like his Ima (me) in that he only likes cooked blueberries...

After some snacking on the blueberries by Mommy (Mindi), I decided that unless I did something else with the berries, like muffins or something, we would lose them all. I decided to make homemade blueberry syrup! It turned out WONDERFULLY! I had never made a fruit syrup before, and it was so super easy! I used the remaining 2 cups of blueberries, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of water. I tossed it all into a saucepan and let it cook for about 15 minutes while stirring. By the end of the cooking session, the blueberries were a beautiful, liquidy mush that I proceeded to mucho mushify with the side of my spoon in order to get all the good stuff out of the skin. Now, one could decide to serve the syrup warm and skin-filled, but I opted to strain the syrup and bottle it for later.




3 comments:

  1. That is an awfully big plate for a little boy! I bet the blueberries are going to be fun in his diaper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberries freeze well. I always have some in the freezer for smoothies, etc. But you could put your syrup in the pancakes and have purple pancakes......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! He looks like a champion eater!

    When did he really start eating solid foods??

    The blueberry stuff looks de-lish!!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin