Thursday, November 20, 2008

TTC #2

The adorably pregnant Tiff asked me to expound on our TTC #2 project. It has been a little while since I have posted anything about it. As some of you may know, after the birth of our son, Harris, we purchased 4 more vials of the same donor sperm that we used to conceive Harris. It is not that 4 is a magic number or anything, but when we were ttc Harris, we typically purchased 4 at a time. Anyways... after purchasing them and having them shipped to our local storage place, we saw my Dr. and got the go-ahead to start inseminating again. After waiting a bit, I got my period (woohoo!) and we started our insem protocol- Femera CD 3-7, dildo cam ultrasound and HcG shot cd 13, insemination cd 14, big fat negative 2 weeks later. Ok, no biggie, it did take us 8 tries to get pregnant with Harris after all. 1 Vial down, 3 to go, and, we can always buy more if we need to.... or CAN we?...



Mindi went onto the sperm bank site, only to discover, that our donor was out of available sperm. I don't just mean "waiting to be restocked" I mean RETIRED. Ouch. That hurts.



So, now we are down to 3 tiny little vials of potential baby making spermatozoa, with no hope for more vials, and very little margin for error. Needless to say, we are pretty down about it. So, what do we do? Well, we decided to go see the IVF guy. We explain to him our situation, I tell him my fears of multiples, and we come to agree on a game plan. Basically, we have 1 more shot of getting pregnant via insemination. If that insemination does not work, then we will go to IVF. We will have 2 vials to potentially use for IVF. In reality, we will probably only need one, however, it is nice to have a little safety net.



Today is actually CD2 for me. Technically, if I wanted, we could try this month, but we are up in the air over where we should do this final insem- with my old Dr, or with the new Drs at the IVF clinic. I have become slightly disenchanted with my old Dr. The routine of trying to get me pregnant became a little, well, ugly at the end. When we first started trying, my Dr. seemed, well, interested, but towards the end, I was beginning to feel as if I was the one who had to make all of the decisions regarding timing, etc. It was weird. I didn't like it. It was almost as if no one ever bothered to look at my chart. I hate that.



So anyways... we are trying to make up our minds about the Dr. situation.



Whoops- baby is awake!!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Lynn~ How are you? My hubby and I are going thru IVF. I will ending the pill on monday and then I started a whole bunch of tests. So what you were doing was IUI's. I did 3 of them, the PCOS was being a pain, I guess. Anyways, Harris is cutie and that picture, OMG is adorable, he is getting so big. Anyways, good luck to you and hopefully things will go the way you plan. Take care and kit, Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. It sucks to run out of vials. We had two vials left of our donor, and we did two IUI's, and got two BFN's. Then we contacted a couple in Seattle who also used our donor and they were so generous to sell us one of their precious, stored vials (which we haven't used yet). We found them via the Don.or Sib.ling Reg.istry, btw. You might try it. Some people who are finished TTC might have some vials of your donor on sale there...

    Cute Harris pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for posting on this Lynn! I am so excited to hear about your plans! It's too bad about the vials - but it really sounds like you have a good gameplan!!! I hope it happens quickly for you and have vials leftover!!!

    I LOVE that picture of the little man too!! SOO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we bought 7 vials of our donor and used 5 to conceive our daughter not thinking about wanting to use the same for our next. we planned for my wife to carry our 2nd so the same donor became even more important as we wanted our kids to have some biological relationship if possible. when we went to buy more he too was retired. we did 1 IUI and when it didn't work went right to IVF to increase our odds. she is 28.5 weeks pregnant with our 2nd daughter.

    good luck to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Thanks for the comment! I love the funkified picture of your little one. I am so missing the PNW, and your blog just brought it back to me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just found your blog. We are in Seattle too and it's good to know there are others here who are on this journey as well.
    Hope this ttc 2 is easy and short lived for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin