Friday, October 24, 2008

Retiring the Crib at 10 months ...CONTINUED...

I really appreciate the commentary that I get on my posts. It makes me feel so good to know that people out there actually give a hoot as to what I have to say!

So, Harris and the Moms have been doing really well with the transition. During the day, Harris loves to explore his new room. Now, if He and a Mom get anywhere close to his bedroom door, he crawls hastily into the room and UP onto the bed. I am emphasizing UP, not because it is tall, but simply because you can easily see the sense of accomplishment on Harris' face when he gets his cute little butt up there. He totally knows that the new bed belongs to him, and he is embracing it.

*Side note: although changing his diapers is becoming more and more difficult everyday because of the fact that he has discovered free will and no longer wants to lay sweetly for mom, one of my favorite moments in the day happens when I am attempting to change his diaper, he flips over (much to my diapering dismay) and goes crawling across the living room, into his bedroom and up onto his bed, bare bottom to the world, and his jingle bells ringing the whole time... Maybe it is just me, but I think that it is cute as hell...

Back on track...

We felt that there was a big breakthrough when we started being able to nap him on his bed without me being in there. A few days later, we were putting him down for the night in his new bed and he sunk in like butter, but I ended up in there after his first waking at about 1:30am. Since then, we have had at least 2 (maybe 3 at this point...) nights of me sleeping in the mom bed with my wife (where else?!) and Harris sleeping in his own bed in his own room. It rocks. Our house is small, and the bedrooms are close, but even so, we still use a monitor just to make sure we are on top of things. I know that there was a little concern about safety from some of my readers. I really appreciate the feedback and concern, and I would like to address some of the concerns because maybe it will help someone else do the same thing that we are doing with our son!

Issue #1: CONTAINING THE BABY
I totally understand a parents logical desire to contain their child. It makes the most sense to contain your child when you are sleeping because, well, you are not really "present" when you are sleeping. After having a baby of my own, I realized, that containment doesn't necessarily have to be a crib, and I also realized that a crib gave me a claustrophobic feeling, and I wasn't even the one in it. I feel as though it is wholly possible to keep a child contained, while still giving them a certain freedom to move about. After some deliberation, I came to the realization that I really don't like cribs, and with proper planning and execution, a child can safely, and happily live without one. Like many other parents, we co slept with our baby, then we gave him his own little mattress on the floor so that he could have "alone time" close by. He was contained by our bedroom door, and practically never crawled anywhere in the bedroom besides his bed and ours. The door was all we needed. Now that he is in his own room, we want for him to still feel as though he can come to us in our bed if he needs to. Because he is still so young, and we hear him on the monitor, we do not leave his door wide open (he will cry for us, but stay on his new bed). When the time comes where he shows a desire to come to us (as opposed to us going to him) we will leave his door open (with a finger-slam door guard!!), and he can crawl/walk/saunter into our room. Will we still contain him somehow? Absolutely. Because of our floor plan, we will be able to put up a nighttime tension gate that will only allow him access to his door and ours. It is all in the planning.

Issue #2: KEEPING BABY UNSCATHED
Containing a baby to his own room is one thing. Making sure that He is SAFE in that room is another thing. The lassies over at Parker Martin Twin Odyssey brought up that concern in the comments for the last post. I totally understand that concern. My generic response is "pay attention". For the parents out there that are planning on attempting this (at a young age or otherwise), I suggest you sit in there and play with them, or watch them play. I found a lot of potential hazards that way, and FIXED THEM. Bolting things to the wall is a must, installing drawer latches, securing window coverings. Just make sure, that if you desire to put your baby or young child in their own room, that you are comfortable leaving your child in that room alone as you would be leaving your child in a crib.

So- is anyone else convinced? Is anyone else out there itching to try the "big switcharoo"??? C'mon LURKERS! Talk to ME!!!

6 comments:

  1. haha not concerned. I waited until 18 months, but i'm an early stepper too and I probaby would have done it sooner if I'd realized it was possible.

    Now my daughter is 2 1/2 and we recenty switched her to a twin bed.... pushed against one wall with a bed rail on the other side. She loves it. And the best part of it, is that if she is sick or wants me.. I can jump into her bed with her, as opposed to her being in mine.

    All of my girlfriends with kids the same age are just barely starting to make the transition to a toddler bed... yup that's right, they've still got thier 2 year olds behind bars! and I think its crazy haha Rowan loves her bed. She's learned that's where she stays to sleep and because we started so young, i'm not now trying to teach a very stubborn 2 year old to stay put.. because THAT would be impossible! haha My friends are all struggling with it, and my baby sleeps like an angel.

    I will say that I do put a gate up in her room so she can't just toddle over to our room when ever she pleases. I do this not to trap her, I do this because well.. she's 2 1/2 years old now. and Should Mr. Boyle and I be feeling...well you know.. freaky deaky, if she were to walk in... she'd most certainly remember.. that's the last thing I want her going to school with and telling her preschool teacher about. She's already explained that her dog is a douche bag.... damn hubs and his inability to control his language haha

    anyhoo... kudos to you! and good luck :) I think you're doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! i will be following along to see how it goes. it's funny...my two are 1.5 years and will be two before we know it. the whole transitioning to a bed has not even been a blip on the radar for us yet. i think we just live in this world of multiples madness and maybe don't take as much time to think about and plan things like this. we have cribs that also transition to a toddler bed and then a twin or full bed. anabelle's comment got me thinking. hhhmmmm, gotta look into this more. i wonder what the "traditional" age is for getting into a toddler bed. not that we are a traditional family! haha! so many things on the horizon to think about!!! how are my babies already 1.5 years old? crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From everything I've read the normal to start the transition to a toddler beds is between 18mos and 2. You dont' want them to be able to climb out of the crib and or fall over the age if they get tall enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally enjoying this topic, even though I'm not yet a mom! anabelle's comment about the resistant 2-year-old makes so much sense, much like what others say about potty training early. plus, I just like thinking of Harris scooching barebutt onto his cozy bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I am one of those people that says "whatever floats your boat". Jess is a NICU nurse and I was both a preschool teacher and a social worker. We both work with babies, kids, and families. We both see the worst case scenarios. Our baby will be in a pack and play next to our bed for the first few months. When she is finally sleeping through the night she will be moved to her room...which because of our floor plan is half way across the house. She will be in a crib, but that's what works for us. She will also be moved to a toddler bed or mattress on the floor at 18-20 months because she will have a new baby brother or sister at about that age. I think it's going to depend on our child. It's hard to determine anything before you realize what YOUR child needs and desires. I'm glad that Harris is doing so well in his transition. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also started potty training at 18 months... and she was completely potty trained by 2. :) No other kids Rowan age potty trained yet.. so I must be on to something.

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin