Friday, October 10, 2008

Baby Likes it Chunky

Harris is a good eater. Note that I am saying good and not fantastic, or wonderful, or bad. He is good. He has an attitude when it comes to eating. I can only presume that most children have a "food attitude" if you will, and that the vast majority of babies (and/or toddlers, and, well, teenagers too come to think of it...) don't simply sit there at the table with their mouths wide open like baby birds, ready to accept just anything that mama bird (or papa) wants to stick down the hatch. Harris has a certain pattern to his desires. He really loves being spoon fed, yet, he is also highly enjoying his new found "free will" and wants to only feed himself. (Oh, you just wait for that you new parents or new parents to be!! The "free will", oh, yeh, THAT's fun...) He has also decided that he really cares about the consistency of his food. He no longer wants simple pureed food. No no, now he wants it chunky. We give him all kinds of food, not just puree. He loves pasta and whole veggies, the broth of soups, tofu, potatoes, but he does still like his puree, but God forbid it be silky. As I mentioned before, he likes it chunky. One of Harris' favorite chunky purees is Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, made By Earth's Best Organics. It comes in the "big boy 6 oz jar", which he has been polishing off every morning. I decided that I was done buying this oatmeal at 1.19 a jar (give or take), and decided to make my own.



I put about 1/3 cup raisins and 1/2 cup applesauce into my Magic Bullet, (you could use a food processor) and blended it until there were no more chunks of raisin. I stuck the mixture in a bowl. I then cooked about 1/4 cup of thick cut rolled oats, waited for the extra water to absorb a bit more, and added it to the raisin/applesauce mixture. I added a bit of cinnamon, and then added about another 1/2 cup of applesauce. I tasted the mixture, and thought it was a good mix of flavors. The consistency was good and chunky (from the oats) but the puree part was not quite as thick as Harris usually likes it, so I thickened it with a little bit of his Earth's Best Oatmeal Cereal. I am pretty jazzed. I put about 2 days worth in a glass bowl in the fridge and I froze the rest. Now, if I could just find the Peach Apricot Muesli that he loved so much... that one looks a little trickier to emulate, and I would want to do a taste test!

3 comments:

  1. I know adults who have a "food attitude". It can be maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...thanks for posting how you did it. My mom just gave me her Magic Bullet and I'm experimenting with it. I just odn't know what combinations to make. I haven't attempted any veggie mixes yet, but I did make Peach Apple Banana and it is sooooo good. It made me feel bad that I've had the audacity to feed hom the jarred food for so long. :)
    Peach Apple Banana, in case you're interested, was super easy. Peel and dice 1 peach and 1 apple. Simmer together until soft, then add 1/2 of a ripe banana and mix together. Put in the Magic Bullet and blend to desired consistency. It's now his dessert after dinner and is 100% fruit, so I don't feel guilty about giving him dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just wanted to say hi- i'm denise, we met at the pumpkin patch yesterday. hi!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin