Saturday, June 21, 2008

Five Years and Counting

Five years ago today, I met my lady. As a couple, we kind of have 3 anniversaries. The first is today, the day we met, then there is the would be anniversary of the day we were going to get married in Canada, and then the anniversary of our commitment ceremony. I count the would-be anniversary of the legal marriage that would have been only because both Mindi and I wear the wedding rings that were designated for that ceremony. They are engraved with our initials and the date of the wedding that never happened. We obviously celebrate the anniversary of our commitment ceremony on November 26, because it was the closest thing we have so far to a legal marriage. The biggest anniversary celebration happens on that date- November 26th, but, deep down, I feel that today, the day I met my Lady 5 years ago, is by far, the most special.


Mindi and I met online. Yes, online, through an online GLBT site that had, among other things, a personals section. I was looking for new friends with the possibility for something more. I wanted to just go out and have a good time. I had met a couple people, and was enjoying myself, but had not really met anyone that I felt any sort of connection to, friend wise or other. It was late at night, and I went online to see if anyone local was online. It was the first time that I had seen her profile. "wow, she is beautiful!" I thought to myself. I read her profile- she was very "accomplished" we could say- she had 2 bachelors degrees under her belt and was working on her Masters. I instant messaged her. No response. I figured she had looked at my profile and wasn't interested. I was about to log out and she answered me. She had been out walking Brutus (the Boston terrier). We chatted online for at least an hour. At the end of the conversation, we agreed to meet for dinner and a local concert.


It was agreed that I would meet her at her apartment. Traffic was bad and I called her to let her know that I was running late. I had butterflies. When I pulled up in front of her place, she was finishing up a walk with her pup. I ran up on the curb as I tried to park. whoops. I was nervous- give me a break...


Wow- she was even more beautiful in person. I walked into her house that night, and never really walked out. We were inseparable from the get-go.


And now, here we are, 5 years later, in a different state, living in a house that we own, snuggling and laughing with our infant son.


Here we are on our 1 MONTH anniversary, July 21st, 2003


7 comments:

  1. Dude! You guys look exactly the same! That is so awesome!

    Happy anniversary!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy 1st of 3, 5th anniversaries! mine and my wifes story is similar in terms of pretty much never separating after the first encounter. but i guess that's why the lesbian community has the u-haul joke, i suspect many of us can relate ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are great. Thanks for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw that's so sweet - you two are so cute!

    my partner and i met on-line too... 11 years ago this august!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! My wife and I met on that same site 5 years ago in April. Happy getting together anniversary! You guys look so sweet together.
    -nutella

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are so cute! Love all the commentary. Maybe you can write up something for rookiemoms.com (an activity you like to do with baby in tow) and I can help you promote the etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw shucks! your story is so similar to h's and mine :)
    (except we had to do a long distance thing for 1.5 years. ouch.)

    happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin