Friday, February 8, 2008

Looking Back

Back on 12/14/07, I posted about my feelings reagarding the impending birth of my little boy...

"I feel as though I am walking around in a daze. I have not allowed myself to really even think about the potential pain that will be involved with a med-free birth. I guess that that is a really good thing, and although I don't need to "figure anything out" I am "trying to figure out" if I am really that clueless as to what awaits me, or if I have just managed to adopt a very ZEN feeling about the whole thing. I would like to think that I am being uber-zen, but I am not going to put myself on that pedestal (until at least, I deserve to...)"

Ok, I am still not putting myself on a pedestal, BUT, in retrospect, I was, indeed, being uber-zen about the whole thing. I do not feel at all that I was clueless as to what was going to happen, and the amount of pain I experienced was pretty dead-on to the amount of pain I anticipated feeling. I just trusted my body. I always told myself that my body knew what to do and I was right. By acknowledging the fact that chilbirth can be painful, and by visualizing the potential pain calmly and casually beforehand, I was not in for any surprises. I read many women's accounts of the sensation of the pain they felt. Some described it as dull stabbing, some described the feeling of wanting to crawl out of their skin. I prepared myself for transition and it's intensity by reminding myself that when I felt I simply COULD NOT DO IT anymore- that I was almost at the finish line. I trusted my body, I breathed and moaned my way calmly through it all, and in the end, my body eased my baby into the world, clamped down the blood vessels, and proceeded to provide immunities for him.

Don't doubt your bodies, ladies. If there is a glimmer of desire to have a home birth or a birth without unneccesary interventions, and your pregnancy has been healthy and uneventful, and your healthcare practioner does not see any risk, then DO IT. TRUST YOUR BODY. Do not be afraid, and have a good support system.

7 comments:

  1. the parallel universe continues...

    i had a hospital birth, but i prepared myself as best i could for a pain med free birth. i educated myself about the medicalization of birthing, hired a doula, had a midwife, etc.

    i have a very low tolerance for pain in my everyday life. so even though i really wanted med free, there was a part of me that doubted that i could do it. when those thoughts flooded my mind, i would remind myself over and over, my body was built to do this. it was that mantra and the awesome support i had that helped me achieve the birth experience i wanted (and to overcome the obstacles presented when I eventually needed to be induced, hooked up to an IV and monitors - you better believe i made sure they hooked me up to portable monitors so i was still mobile and could use the birthing tub). and it was the most amazing thing i've ever done! sure it hurt like hell at times, and lasted a little too long, but through my breathing and noisemaking, i worked through the pain.

    and, i look forward to the day when i birth our second child. and know i'll be sad when i know i've done it for the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pep talk, Lynn. I know it wasn't directed at me, but it's a perfect time for me to hear it. Now, if I'd just get started (snarl, grunt.)

    Also, love the bonus Moby pic. CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As our due date gets closer. I noticed that my wife has been thinking very "zen" like lately. I find that I am the one that reads all the books and she has taken the route of really staying in touch with her body and mind. Thanks for posting. Very helpful!
    Exciting and scary at the same time knowing our baby girl will be here soon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn,
    I wanted to send you an email but can't find an address on the blog. If you're willing, you can email me at familyo at earthlink dot net.

    and great post. I agree. My wife had an amazing birth, dilated all the way to 10 cm at home and only pushed at the hospital. We are seriously considering a home birth for #2. (But since #1 was born this December, just a few days before your Harris, that won't be terribly soon...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Thank you for encouraging other women to trust. We need to take back birth in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post and very inspiring!!! I think you deserve to be on a bit of a pedestal really!! I've only read about it all through your blog of course - but I think you handled it amazingly!! Karli and I are definitely talking about home births much more, especially reading about your experience and input on it.

    Also, loving that you're posting more pictures of baby boy. I swear he's getting cuter by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is dead-on how I felt. I really wish more women could prepare this way and feel this way about childbirth rather then feel so much fear. It makes their birth experience much more painful, I think.

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin