Monday, February 4, 2008

gDiaper- Cloth Edition

I am pretty jazzed right now. And proud- yes, I am proud of myself! Like I mentioned before, I wasconsidering making cloth inserts for my little g-pants. It was pretty interesting trying to come up with a 'design' that would fit well into the little g pants AND be able to absorb enough of what need absorbin'!

The first step was to get the goods. No, wait, the first step was to do some research. I went online and tried to navigate the whole world that is cloth diapers. I really did not know that much about cloth diapering, so it was a bit of information overload. I had so many questions about things that I realized I needed a forum or 2. I joined the gDiaper Yahoo group (which rocks) as well as the DiaperSwappers website. I managed to gather way more information than I ever thought was available, and learned a hefty bit about the difference between fabrics (I had no idea that some fabric was made from bamboo- damn, that stuff is VERSATILE!)

Luckily for me, all I really had to make were the cloth inserts and not an entire diaper cover. I own a sewing machine, but I am certainly NO SEAMSTRESS! I decided that I wanted microfiber to be the main fabric in my inserts. I went out and bought some fleece for the lining and some microfiber towels from Costco.
I snipped an stiched, and ripped a few seams out, then ripped a few more out, then stitched, then cursed, then ripped some more seems out, then stiched and cursed again until I ended up with this: "This" is 2 layers of Microfiber cloth with a fleece liner. I stitched a line down the middle of the 2 layers of Microfiber so that I could stick in an extra "soaker" if I needed to (for overnights etc). The end result was, well, disappointing. I soon realized, after puttting the 10 liners I had made into rotation, that 2 layers of Microfiber was just not enough, the liner kept bunching up because it lacked "form" and it was incredibly unfinished looking. So, I went back to the drawing board, and MAN AM I GLAD I DID!

BEHOLD!!


Oh yay- I am so excited!

This time, I gathered up some receiving blankets (cuz we have a bazillion of them) and decided to make a pocket. I knew that the inserts needed more absorbtion, so I figured that a pocket made out of cotton flannel surrounding 3 layers of microfiber, topped with a fleece liner should do the trick! I was a little worried about the thickness when I was first planning a design, but as you can see, it is still quite streamline! And MAN, do these things SUCK! Well, I mean, suck up liquid... The microfiber inserts are removable for washing, but they are all stuck together with little cotton flannel caps that I sewed them together with. They are easy to remove via a pocket system on the underside of the insert. The fleece is sewn in place on the top of the insert and works wonders to keep my little boys "goods" dry. Here are some pics!!









I know, I am cool... hehe :)

ETA*** New Version Here

26 comments:

  1. i have a question....How does it work for #2s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Gia, it works the same as any other cloth diaper really. If your little one makes a #2, you remove the insert and do one of the following: Throw it right into the diaper pail (if you breastfeed because BF baby poop is easy to wash out in the washer), or, you "dunk and swish"- dunk it in the toilet bowl to get the poop off, then throw it in the diaper pail, or you can scrape it into the toilet (sounds glamorous no?), or, you can use a diaper sprayer(a handheld sprayer that attaches to your toilet water intake at the wall) and spray the poo away before tossing it in your diaper pail.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhhh i seeeeee...Sweet! You are very creative. I was trying to figure out how you did the photo with the hand paint effect. Do you use photoshop? Oh my I'm just full of questions today! LOL More pics of Harris Please THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I use a program called Fireworks. The process basically invlolves copying the photo into a new window, converting it to grayscale, then copying and pasting that gray picture as a new layer over the colorized one. You then have to apply a mask and viola! You can then colorize with the brush tool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a complete and total rockstar to be designing and constructing your own cloth inserts while at home with a 5 week old. I am in awe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are pretty cool. Thanks for turning us onto the gdiapers... sounds like a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! That is incredibly awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These liners are mad cool and I think we're going to try the cloth liner option too!

    www.chiutenblack.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a question. How many hundreds of them you got to make? Don't all babies do is eat, pooh, pee and sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  10. so. impressed.

    you are amazing! good for you hun. it gives me hope that maybe i can manage the chaos of cloth diapering someday.

    ox

    ReplyDelete
  11. i totally think you need to patten the idea real fast before some one steals your idea and makes a ton of money. You could be a millionaire now! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a FANTASTIC idea, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynn - I found your site through Google! I just bought my gDiapers trial pack and had been planning on using cloth inserts and your design seems like a glamorous version of what I wanted to do. I have checked out your Etsy and noticed you don't have your inserts up for sale yet! How are they working out? My first few experiences with the gDiaper inserts have been leaky, I think because of the bulkiness between the legs. This may be because the little gs are on the large size, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool!! I so want to make these, but I sucked at just trying to make my own cloth pantyliners.. :0P Maybe you could sell 'em on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could you give me the dimensions of these? I just bought a diaper kit for Large (for my 15mo) and I have a baby on the way so any help in the savings department would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is GREAT! I bough two hemp/microfiber liners off of etsy and LOVE them, but wanted to make some of my own..at least I know i"m not the only closet hippie with marginal sewing skills :) I found your blog through google after googling gdiaper cloth inserts, and I'll be adding you to my blogroll...great stuff! (Oh!And if you haven't already, I purchased the bum genius diaper sprayer ;))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry, the comment left by "sara' should have been left under this account...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    I just made me a few inserts for my LO where I used microfiber and fleece as well. I used 4 layers of microfiber and 2 layers of fleece. I'm gonna post a free tutorial on flickr for those other Gmums out there that want something a bit different from flushables and prefolds (which I am using now, but they're so bulky).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sheesh. I was just about to invent these and post my amazing invention on my own blog. I knew I was in trouble when I googled gdiaper cloth inserts and there were over 15,000 results. I guess great minds think alike. :)
    Thanks for the instructions, mama!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey mama,

    i've been lurking here for a couple nights now, as i've embarked on my own mission to make inserts for g diapers. unfortunately, i won't be able to test them on the actual baby until january, but i want to be as done as possible before then.... anyway, yours look like the most simple and absorbant design i've come across, so i wanted to give them a shot! could you give me the dimensions for both small and medium/large? i would really appreciate it! also, your updated design with the innovation of quilting just saved the first batch i made (which i'll probably need to use with an extra soaker :P) that was bunching oddly... good thinking!!

    p.s. good luck with the new baby... but you guys are obviously naturals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you SO MUCH, you rock! I think the next batch I make will be rounded... I just wasn't sure of the size, so I went with the shape of a disposable insert because I was afraid pee might run off the corners and leak if I rounded it... but upon futher reflection, I realize this was a silly fear, because the pad would just soak it up anyway! Duh.

    Thanks also for the CoolaBaby suggestion-- I can't believe how cheap they are compared to other AIOs! I think I will definitely get some to try out... and maybe other people (like the grandparents, who think I'm insane) will be a little more inclined to change cloth diapers if it's closer to what they're used to with disposables :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh! I couldn't understand ANY of the steps on your tutorial!!! :( ... but it's OK cuz my mom is a sew master and she'll get this in a sec! .... Thanks so much for the tips! :D

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin