The first step was to get the goods. No, wait, the first step was to do some research. I went online and tried to navigate the whole world that is cloth diapers. I really did not know that much about cloth diapering, so it was a bit of information overload. I had so many questions about things that I realized I needed a forum or 2. I joined the gDiaper Yahoo group (which rocks) as well as the DiaperSwappers website. I managed to gather way more information than I ever thought was available, and learned a hefty bit about the difference between fabrics (I had no idea that some fabric was made from bamboo- damn, that stuff is VERSATILE!)
Luckily for me, all I really had to make were the cloth inserts and not an entire diaper cover. I own a sewing machine, but I am certainly NO SEAMSTRESS! I decided that I wanted microfiber to be the main fabric in my inserts. I went out and bought some fleece for the lining and some microfiber towels from Costco.
I snipped an stiched, and ripped a few seams out, then ripped a few more out, then stitched, then cursed, then ripped some more seems out, then stiched and cursed again until I ended up with this: "This" is 2 layers of Microfiber cloth with a fleece liner. I stitched a line down the middle of the 2 layers of Microfiber so that I could stick in an extra "soaker" if I needed to (for overnights etc). The end result was, well, disappointing. I soon realized, after puttting the 10 liners I had made into rotation, that 2 layers of Microfiber was just not enough, the liner kept bunching up because it lacked "form" and it was incredibly unfinished looking. So, I went back to the drawing board, and MAN AM I GLAD I DID!
Oh yay- I am so excited!
This time, I gathered up some receiving blankets (cuz we have a bazillion of them) and decided to make a pocket. I knew that the inserts needed more absorbtion, so I figured that a pocket made out of cotton flannel surrounding 3 layers of microfiber, topped with a fleece liner should do the trick! I was a little worried about the thickness when I was first planning a design, but as you can see, it is still quite streamline! And MAN, do these things SUCK! Well, I mean, suck up liquid... The microfiber inserts are removable for washing, but they are all stuck together with little cotton flannel caps that I sewed them together with. They are easy to remove via a pocket system on the underside of the insert. The fleece is sewn in place on the top of the insert and works wonders to keep my little boys "goods" dry. Here are some pics!!
I know, I am cool... hehe :)
ETA*** New Version Here