Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Dare I say the word?

This is something that I have dreaded since our baby was born. He was absolutely perfect for a newborn. He rarely cried, barely fussed, and had lots of newborn love to give. His grandma calls him "Mr. Perfect" and I couldn't have agreed more, but every time she would say "he is perfect, he never fusses or cries" I would cut her off and say YET with great fervor. I didn't want to jinx myself. I knew that the evil that is "colic" wouldn't rear it's ugly head until after grandma had left town, and the 2 new mommies would have to conquer the beast alone...

I stayed optimistic. Every day was easier than the last, and every day he got cuter and sweeter. Then BAM

Yes, BAM.

BAM BAM ABAM ABAMA SNJKABNANBAMdiasghp9f ywetu2urohYG!!!!!!!!

Yikes.

Last night, it hit full force. Right before his bedtime bottle, the screaming REALLY BEGAN. As poor Mindi tried desperately to calm him and knock him out with his nighttime feed, I ran downstairs, desperate for help from Dr. Karp and his "Happiest Baby On The Block". I frantically flipped through page after page on colic theories before reaching the "suggested techniques". I had read about the "5 S's" before, but I really had to pay attention this time (which was difficult because of the screaming baby to my left. Poor Mindi looked so frazzled- I am sure I did too, but I have to give more "frazzle credit" to the person holding the screamer!

So, we got him settled. FINALLY. The rest of the night, my nerves were fried. At the first gurgle of my sweet little baby, I would leap out of bed, ready to swoop up said infant and whisk him to the cavernous confines of the nursery, where he would be bounced, jiggled, and ssssshhed into the night.

The sweet orange (oh, excuse me, 'Sienna') Moby wrap has been his home today. We even indulged in a little skin to skin Moby action. That was neat, but it reminded me over and over again how badly I need to trim his little talons...

So there you have it, we are beginning our battle with Colic. Much to my dismay, the experts say that it "begins at 2 weeks, peaks at 6 weeks, and ends around 3 to 4 months"... oooh, 3-4 months? Oy Baby...

I will leave you with more cuteness...

9 comments:

  1. Hey - we used that book too - the shushing seriously works.

    Good luck!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 5 Ss are like GOLD, they are so valuable. We still use them. Still! At 6 months!

    I hope colic passes you quickly. If things get really rough, don't feel like you're a wimp for calling the pedi and stuff - that's what they're there for, and many times there are real reasons for colic, like reflux and stuff.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh :( I'm sorry he's colicky! I hope this passes quickly for you guys; I know it must be a difficult adjustment!!

    I don't even KNOW about the 5 S's. What are they??

    Hoping for rest for you, Mindi & the wee one ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh :( I'm sorry he's colicky! I hope this passes quickly for you guys; I know it must be a difficult adjustment!!

    I don't even KNOW about the 5 S's. What are they??

    Hoping for rest for you, Mindi & the wee one ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Colic is when the baby comes to a full realization that he/she is not going back to that comphy little warm womb he/she was pushed out of 2 weeks earlier.

    Really, all I ever wanted was a Womb of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pic of him, such cuteness and sweetness.... even with the colic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i'm so sorry! it must break your heart (and your nerves) to hear him cry like that. i wish i had some magic mama trick to share. good luck and i hope it passes quickly. you get the mom-of-the-day award. ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOTAL cuteness! Sorry to hear about the colic--i hope it passes and stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,your little Harris is ADORABLE. And that picture of him at 11 days old? Precious! Don't be so sure that he's really colicky (however that is spelled). Our 7 month old son Danny had a few spotty nights early on, but then became his normal mellow self again.

    Dr. Karp's book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" was a real help to us too. We swaddled Danny as much as possible the first few weeks until he busted out! ;-) I love Dr. Karp's reasoning for all the things you do--great book.

    Have a wonderful day and congratulations on your little guy. I really enjoyed finding your blog. -Monica

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin